View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
That is true. Over-regulation breeds contempt for the law, and scofflaw behavior.

But that is unworkable for residential streets. (Which is where most of the stop signs are, and where I lose most of my FE in all-city driving.)

About a decade ago there was a horrendous fatal crash at one of very few, rare, intersections in my residential neighborhood that had no stop signs. Both drivers assumed the other would have a stop sign, since stop signs are posted for at least one of the streets at every intersection.

I'm very much against so-called "4-way stops". (Again, a feature of the "nanny state".) Often that leads to the assumption that the other driver must stop - sort of a game of "chicken" in reverse.

But YIELD signs ARE traffic control devices. And they keep traffic moving. Or they would, if they were to replace most stop signs, and if we could educate drivers that yield means YIELD!

Found the problem!

Wasn't the lack of stop sign, it was the lack of driver intelligence... they teach you to yield the right of way if you're not sure. If you have to assume, you're not sure, so you should yield. Simple as that.