View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Thanks for the reply Fubeca.

I am going to make the concave part in one piece and the flat part in another. Then I will wrap them individually and put them together.

Like this:

Kinda..Maybe. I think it will work. The flat part will be about this size & shape to act as a support platform for the back 4 feet. It will also provide a fair bit of "anti spread" strength at the caps mid point. Over engineered? Probably .....it's kinda my thing.

I have changed the back of the concave part to have a 3" flat area on the aft end. I did this for ease of construction. I couldn't get my head around making it taper flat and still have something to nail everything down to. This way I can make the last "rib" out of a chunk of 2x4 for my final tie in.

I don't think it will cost me any efficiency at all.

Status Report:

I have the ribs all made, I plan on making the flat parts for the ribs to rest on tomorrow and putting together the flat deck too. I'm using 1/2" OSB for everything so far to keep the weight down. I have 2 sheets of 1/4" CDX for the skin, it's pretty rough but it was half the cost of anything else they had at the lumber yard which I would consider using. I may just need to plaster on a few glops of Elmers wood filler to fill in some knots in the CDX, or not. I don't think they'll be seen through the shrink wrap. I have taken some pictures which I'll post when I get the frame together and before I put the sheeting on.

I changed the shape of the top profile of the cap, I was going to make it rounded to match the roofline of the truck, but since I have a fairly pronounced aero shape when viewed from the side I thought trying to get the 1/4" CDX to compound bend would be difficult. So now I basically have a 2 foot wide flat area on the very top of the cap which will go from stem to stern. On each side of that is a 1 foot wide flat spot that tapers for the final 3 feet, it is about 10 degrees sloped in relation to the 2 foot wide area. I figure it'll make the application of the sheeting a cinch and still match the profile of the roofline within 1/2 inch or so. See the illustration of the rib profile for a better idea.

Thanks for your input. I suppose I can keep a bunch of the Black Poly in my truck and if it gets too loose & baggy I could always cut new pieces to overlay and slap staple the crap out of them, it would look like hell but would work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2ndDrawingCap1twopartsa2.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	5410   Click image for larger version

Name:	RibsContrastSm.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	5413