View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Nice work - I would love to see some coast-down testing results and an estimated Cd reduction from this (and hopefully more!) aero modding. I was reading about the echo last week, and was surprised to learn how low its drag coefficient is (.29), and how easy it would be to aeromod this to .25 territory. I wouldn't think about getting rid of that car if I were you. I predict this car being quite a hot commodity for people who realize the importance of this information - I can see echos being sold off on the cheap after people who bought new ones put 70k-100k miles on them. Then you've got a nice base perfect for "low hanging fruit" aero mods and a reasonably lightweight 2020lbs for all of the modern safety features it has. According to wikipedia there were only 153,809 echos sold in the US throughout its 6 year production, which is not a lot. If I found one with a body in good shape for under 1,000 and a blown motor, I'd buy it. I can think of some exciting engine swaps for this to make it a beastly force of MPG.