View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'm still having difficulty with the notion that "safety" is the biggest hang-up for people.

After all, these are the same people that go 20 over, blow red lights, cell and text while driving, are seemingly incapable of putting air in a tire, etc., etc.
Oh, they want safety... but they want it delivered to them in a branded and brightly colored package that they don't have to think about or participate in. Taking responsibility for their own safety is not only out of the question, they don't even understand the question.

The reason I say "they" instead of "we" is I ride a bicycle, a motorscooter, and have only ever owned 2 cars with airbags. Not that I have anything against safety equipment, I just don't have magical expectations of equipment. I'd rather be on my well maintained motorscooter with my full attention on the road & traffic than in a 5-star rated car that's been neglected and abused for 5 years and the driver's so inattentive they haven't even noticed single digit psi in their left front tire or have their rear view mirror permanently focused on their own eyebrows so they can pluck them while they drive.

That said, I don't know why anyone would shell out $12k for a fortwo when $10k buys an accent with 2 additional seats, plus cargo, plus more power, plus a better warranty, plus a more well-established brand, plus less dorky looks (personally i don't mind dorky looks... i have a tempo and a 50cc scooter - but let's face it looks DO count for lots of people) ... from my perspective, you can get more car for less money elsewhere and all the fortwo gives you is "quirkyness" ... not many people who earn their own living put any value in "quirky".
Frank Lee (01-19-2010)