View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #125 (permalink)
TheEnemy
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
I noticed a similar drop in one of my 3 vehicles, to the point where I took it to the shop to try to find the problem, they found nothing wrong with it mechanically or electrically.

I travel a decent distance pretty regularly.
Before E10 I would have half a tank when I got there +- a little.
After E10 I would have half way between 1/2 and 1/4. Now there is a station there that sells straight gas. Running mostly straight gas I would get some of the mileage back, but not all. I originally figured that the ECM or injectors were the problem and weren't adapting to the new fuel and instead of spending the money fixing an older vehicle I would just live with it.

The funny thing is, about 2-3 weeks ago I made the trip but was running late so I drove more agressively running between 80-85 for most of the trip. I supprisingly got a little better mileage.

That made me think that the problem isn't the fuel, or the engine, but that E10 burns faster favoring a higher RPM. What I am going to try to do is next time I make the same trip I will retard the ignition by 1-2 degrees and see if that brings it back some. I also have taller tires, so next time I get tires I'll drop a size or 2.