View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
squriellord
EcoModding Lurker

The Legend - '91 Acura Legend LS
Last 3: 22.72 mpg (US)
MPGuino Hookup (WIP)

I got my MPGuino yesterday, so today I went to radioshack and picked up a few things like wire and an RJ11/44 box

I saw the phone jack and an idea came: use a phone cable to run across the cabin! A raid of the electronics drawer netted a GE in-line connector (the little white box next to the Guino unit) and a length of phone cable.

This morning I messed around and exposed my car's ECU in the passenger footwell behind a steel plate which removed easily enough once I had the carpet peeled back. It's a bit cramped but there's enough area to work in and I have a clear view of the wires. (No pics, will come tomorrow as it's dark outside now.)

My current plan is to strip a portion of the VSS, Injector, and +12V wires, solder a radioshack wire and then electrical tape up the T-intersection. The ground would run to a vehicle ground. These wires would then be run to the RJ11/44, which would be stickypad'ed to the ECU. Then run the phone cable to the MPGuino, which will have a receiver made from half of the in-line connector.

Reasoning:
1) The phone line is durable and well-insulated
2) This setup ought to be very easy to remove and re-install, as the phone cable is removable by nature of design.
3) I'm assuming that it will be easier to secure a phone line through the cabin through hooks with adhesive pads (or some other phone-line anchoring product which surely exists.)

Is the whole strip/solder/cover thing okay? I'm assuming that's how other people have tapped their wires.
More pic's to come tomorrow.

-Squriellord.