View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
The parts for my '02 cost less than $110., but if I'd taken it to a garage to have the work done it would have probably cost $400-$600. I was able to do the repairs in an afternoon.
That, I think is a barrier to good maintenance for a lot of people - with all due respect to the mechanic I understand that having a well equipped shop, with good equipment, well trained employees, and business overhead cost money and needs to be paid for, but anyone with a 15 year old car that's in fair shape and just needs a few little worn out bits replaced - they're not going to go to a mechanic because they don't see any value in putting $1500 into a car they could only sell for $1000 on craigslist if they had to.

But if they felt empowered to put those new pieces on themselves for $150 because they can do the labor themselves, they might choose to do it and put off having a car payment for a while longer - AND all of society would benefit from that person's car being repaired and safer/cleaner, vs. them just driving it unmaintained until it really falls apart.

I'm not saying everyone would take advantage of it, but some would. Hell my sister is a frickin' pr0n model and does all her own vehicle repairs including engine rebuilds... so it's not like the stereotypical "gear head male" is necessary to turn wrenches and follow repair manual steps.