View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
Blackfly underbelly

Darin,I envy the big-boys,with their climatic wind-tunnels, that can control every variable so as to quickly know what their "tricks" are doing.Back-to-back runs are our best attempt,and even with those,the "environment" can be "drifting".It's very frustrating.In Hucho's book,theres a compilation of results a guy put together on bellypan results,however a lot of this work was done before carmakers started putting front airdams on production cars.It's easily possible,that Suzuki did such a good job with the original design,that they already got the low-hanging-fruit under the car.I do know that all truly low drag form cars use bellypans,and that should you pursue even lower drag,it eventually must become part of the equation,to enable the most energetic flow to the wake.And as low temps affect lubricant viscosities,rolling resistance,pumping losses,air drag,etc.,it may be that as we swing into the summer months,that you may see a upswing in performance.I beat the T-100 to death through one winter trying to get results from it's bellypan,and was only rewarded later,the following spring,when the results finally showed up on the radar screen.Winter testing is a bugerbear! I don't think you'll regret your under-car efforts.I remain only comfortable with long-distance testing for my stuff,as,with the OBD-1,I don't get the luxury of the Scangauge.