View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #60 (permalink)
Unforgiven
EcoModding Apprentice

Impala - '04 Chevrolet Impala base
90 day: 32.84 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Traffic density will increase with reduced speeds, in areas where the saturation point has been reached.

In rural areas the problem with lower speeds is they will put you to sleep.

In eastern Virginia the police will not enforce speed limits anyway, at least not to the point where they actually slow the nuts down. Speed differentials (as Frank pointed out), are already one of the major causes of accidents here, also passing on the right and following to close.

Read somewhere a long time ago that the truckers like 62 for economy and distance travelled.

I think they should first make people obey the limits that exist. Cameras on the overpasses. Ticket the vehicle not the driver, automated without actual human interaction.

As far as speed, I like 60 MPH or less. I also like the idea of slight differences in speed depending on which lane you are in. Last time I drove in Michigan, I liked the way they had it set up on 3 lane roads, with higher speed limits on the left lane, and center, and lower limits for trucks and the right lane. It sure seemed less stressful to me when I drove there, but my experience was limited to a short time.

Basically here (eastern VA) they need to enforce the existing laws, and they will probably get as much as any speed limit reduction as far as fuel consumption is concerned. They did raise the limit to 60 on the older seldom used US routes here, and they are deserted, compared to the Interstates.

regards
Mech
Wowzers, someone actually thinking with logic!!! (cheers) Indeed, the laws as posted need to be enforced. Sadly, someone has come up with the statement that each basic speeding ticket costs over 300.00 to process due to the payroll of the state employees and judges to handle that ticket. Geee, shall we make it easy and simply make a basic speeding ticket cost 500.00 to start? How about repeat offenders charged 750.00/1000.00/1250.00/etc/etc/etc for each following infraction? Just might save the proverbial state budget while we are at it too...(sighs)
Bottom line, humans are greedy, and like to feel they are in control even when the control is already there (ie speeders going faster than posted speed)

And before anyone starts griping at me, yeah, I have a couple of speeding tickets in my past, and I paid for them. Last one was a long time ago. Geeee... no more speeding, so nice to think of it. Hail to the double nickel!!!!
(or personally the doublenickel+5) rofl