View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Progress Update

Status Report:

Thought I'd post some pics.

Here is the Rib Template I had made at Kinko's. Since I designed everything using Microsofts Draw program, I thought it would make my life a bit easier to have a full scale drawing to work from. I was able to scale it up perfectly from a 1" = 1' scale drawing I made in a word program. I converted this into a pdf file and the Kinkos guy was able to print it on his 36" roll feed printer/plotter thingy. $9, well worth it!

I didn't want to cut the template up, so to make life more difficult on myself, I made patterns out of it by tracing some Tyvek house wrap I had laying about.

I then traced the tyvek templates onto the 1/2 osb. This was my first trace and I was trying to use tape.....not so good, I ended up using my slap stapler for the rest to hold the pattern in place.

Then I cut the ribs out with my Mk 47 jig saw.

I spent a good number of hours sorting the ribs out with a belt sander to get the shapes all matched up. Then I started on the base for the ribs to rest on.

I'm using all 1/2" osb to save weight. I think the frame when complete won't be very sturdy, but once it is sheeted with the 1/4" plywood, I think everything will work together to make it quite tough.

I had a $20 home made tonneau cover which I used as a platform in place of building off of my truck bed. Today I was able to dry fit the ribs onto the base to see what sort of shape I had. The following are pictures of this dry fit, everything is just sitting there loose, no nails or glue or nothin yet. I'm happy so far.

I'm a bit worried about the plywood for the sides, I know I can kerf the back with my circular saw to help it bend into shape. What I'm afraid of is when I bend the plywood around the back AND I twist from 70° to 40°, is the wood going to want to "dive down"?...Just thought of how to solve the problem. I'll make another Tyvek template and play with that, whew.

I'll post more pics as I progress.

Last edited by ChazInMT; 01-22-2010 at 12:42 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
mjboks (01-22-2010), mully (01-22-2010)