View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
8307c4
EcoModding Lurker

beamer - '91 bmw 318is
90 day: 32 mpg (US)
Here's my two mods...

The first tonneau cover cost me about $100 in materials:
- A $60 Tarpeez (short bed version due to toolbox)
- 1 sturdy rope to replace the stupid OEM bungee (due to air forcing itself DOWN in the rear it kept pushing the cover down inside the bed).
- 2 cross member bars (to hold this next piece):
- One 3x5 or so piece of plexiglass I had laying around, lowered this over top of the cross members and it sits JUST under the cover (you can't see it but this also keeps the farking cover from caving in and rain from puddling).
- Two metal hooks to bore through the tool box so as to hold the cover on.
- A tube pvc type glue to goop up the holes in the toolbox from the hooks.
- Couple more hooks for the sides behind the toolbox.
Time: Some hours.
Gray hairs: 1 or 2.
Mpg gains: Yes but inconclusive as of yet, assuming ~+10% with just one tank for a reading.

The second mod is a front air dam skirt extension made from Home Depot black plastic landscaping border, $15 I think I can't remember it's the shortest they had (like 10 or 12 feet I don't recall but plenty) plus some nuts and bolts, a drill and bit, all in all under $20 I had the drill.
Time: Maybe an hour
Notes: It looks a bit off but I just finished this one today plus the bumper is dented and I'm not sure wth lol, I'll adjust the angle of the skirt later.
Mpg gains: According to others yes, no data yet.

Oh I forgot!
You'll notice the roof of the cab is painted white, this helps keep it noticeably cooler in the summer. Several cans of $1 white spray paint, a roll or two of $1 masking tape and some old newspaper, an older beach towel and Windex. Cleaned it all up real good with the Windex and towel, masked it off, sprayed it, gtg, maybe 1-2 hours.
That this last mod helps with mpg I doubt, the A/C never turns off after the temps soar but I can tell you I feel MUCH better (yes it really makes a big difference).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFN0024.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	485   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFN0027.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFN0028.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	491  

Last edited by 8307c4; 03-22-2008 at 05:43 PM..