View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
SteveT
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
Vwbeamer;

Another possibility that I have not seen accomplished to its full potential is a tail supported off a hitch receiver. This would enable a longer tail, be lighter weight, and eliminate licensing costs, but would lose the convenience (attaching and detaching) and functionality (easily accessed storage) of a separate trailer.
This (tail in hitch receiver) is exactly what I am trying to research right now. I have a 2003 Astro Van with the Aerodynamics of a brick. I am about to go on a 3000 mile vacation in 2 weeks and was contemplating adding a "cargo box" style tailcone plugged into my 2" receiver for the trip. I was hoping to find some data on this site to give me an idea of what mpg I might save. On the freeway I get about 19mpg. I spent a few hours last night browsing this forum looking for others that might have tried this already, but I didn't find any. I even tried the flow simulator but the system was backed up. any links to other threads with tailcones on vans would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve