View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #105 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dcb -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Flatlanders like me don't have a problem with the occasional hill, but have a problem with constant losses in the series transmission of power from engine to wheels. Can we not have a separate solution that is optimized to our locale? Or do we need to spend an extra $15k per vehicle and suffer series inefficiencies of the shlepping the extra baggage around in case a mountain suddenly appears?

If you do have hills, and find slowing down while climbing them to be so injurious as to merit such a complicated solution, then, well, I don't know what to say, except that it would be far more efficient to downshift back to bsfc on an extended climb than carry a bunch of extra and currently expensive stuff up the hill, and suffer transmission losses to boot.
This sounds like your are hinting at your separate "range extender" solution. If you were the hybrid king, how would you integrate/de-integrate a range extender? I don't think a hitch-on range extender would work from an automaker POV, but I can imagine an engine (and fuel tank?!?!?!) that could be "rolled into" a lowered trunk area via a detachable gurney. I think the average joe *might* accept a 30 minute installation/de-installation process, if his/her usage of said car allowed for maybe one install/de-install per week.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society