View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #106 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Great inputs from everyone.

Going one a short vacation with my Parents (84 and 88) to Dover Delaware to play some slot machines. Not really my thing but the wife wants to go and yesterday was her birthday.

dcb, you could build some very small vehicles with my in wheel drive. You could also just use the front wheels for the power train.

You could also use a pressure washer engine and pump and make some very small lightweight vehicles with that as your power source.

I understand Bill that people who are not afraid of getting their hands dirty can keep them on the road cheap. I bought my 94 VX with 27,492 miles from a salvage yard in Ohio, in March 2008. Totalled and sitting inside an insurance training building for 13 years.

The odometer was at 52,400 yesterday, last tank was 55 MPG. so your point about skilled people finding inexpensive solutions is perfectly valid and I rebuilt 200 cars over my lifetime. That's a lot of recycled metal. When the local govt where my shop was located asked me how much we had recycled I told them 20 tons last year.

They didn't believe me.

I think you will see a lot more hh cars, especially in the X prize competition in the near future.

If you can build an inexpensive small lightweight hh that you can buy for prices that no Prius can touch as a new car, then the hybrid choice becomes much more mainstream.

After 60,000 hours of working on them, I know how complicated they have become. The design I propose takes that back to the simplicity of long ago. This will mean that in the future more people will take care of their own, and that makes transportation more affordable and reliable for everyone.

Be back Tuesday, good health to all.

regards
Mech