Thread: LED Headlight
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 02:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Probably not.

While it's a great idea, and is the best way to build LED panels for lights that don't light the way, so to speak, the optics of headlights are designed to take light from a single point and focus it on a single point further back, it seems.

Of course, I guess this isn't necessarily true, either, because many lamp casings have a diffuser in the front so that the only light that gets out of the lens is reflected off the housing.

There is a thing about rounded top LED's that you can narrow their light output or expand it by changing the shape of the resin that the diode is encased in. If you file the top off, the light output is effectively straight out only. Not sure how that could help or hinder the experiment, but it may help with light focusing.

Are you interested in trying it? I'd like to see the results if you are!

I do have to ask, though - Is it just the lens that's DOT approved, or is it the entire light assembly? Please, if you're going to answer this question, I'd like to see some reference or data of some sort that proves one way or the other, not just a thought.