View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
bobert5064
RTD Explorer Architect

Send a message via AIM to bobert5064
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I know the controller doesn't put speed out there, that doesn't mean it should be ignored just because it isn't conveniently on the rs232 port.
Actually it does matter because our program is primarily an interface to the controller, hence the decision to go with a plugin architecture after the core program is finished. There is a big difference between developing software and developing hardware.

Quote:
I would suggest that you ask the controller folks to incorporate a speed signal onto the rs232 line, or make a simple proxy device that adds that info, i.e.
At this point there isn't even a way to get the speed information into the controller it's not as simple as just outputting it.

Quote:
Anyway, I wouldn't add gps expense and flakiness just for speed (the things take like 30 seconds to boot up?), it is simple and cheap and reliable to use what the car already has. And it is a critical piece of information when measuring vehicle efficiency.
Again, this is why we are developing plugins, we want to do the GPS, not just to calculate speed, but because it also allows us to calculate a more accurate distance as well. It will also allow us to calculate elevation changes so that you will be able to see how the vehicle reacts to inclines. We are not forcing anyone to use GPS and if someone develops a speed sensor that will interface with a computer, we will be happy to add a plugin for that as well... or someone else can as the plugin architecture will be open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamj12b
if your posting mention that I will start designing a simple rs232 speed interface circuit
Sounds like Adam might work on one, but it is not high on our priority list right now.