View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
bobert5064
RTD Explorer Architect

Send a message via AIM to bobert5064
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
this is a trivial visual basic application that only needs com port access. to add layers of "net components" to accomplish it then to add more layers is NOT something this architect of many many years can endorse, nor do I concur that software people should wash their hands of hardware at this level, you are trying to convey to the user what the hardware is doing. As well I don't agree with many of the assertions made so far, i.e. "waste of time".
If you believe that this is a "trivial" application then I welcome you to write a similar application in whatever language you choose. Honestly I really don't care what you recommend, I know how the application works and that it is architected correctly to suit it's purposes. I am not going to go in depth about it here. Clearly I am not "watching my hands of hardware" since I am writing software that interfaces with a hardware device, but I am not about to go out and develop my own hardware, that would be way outside of my scope. I would say that I am the only one qualified to determine what is a waste of time in developing my software. If you would like to do it another way, it's your time and you can use it as you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Is this open source? Where is the source?
No, this program is not Open Source.

Anyway, I am through arguing about this, it is not the point of the thread. To answer your feature request; We may port to linux at a later date using Mono.