Thread: LED Headlight
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #53 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
That's something I'll have to play with. I'll probably just build the LED board, cut open a headlight case, and hold it outside at different depths in the case to get a rough idea. See how it compares with the headlights of my other cars. Then make an adjustable bracket to mount the LED board to the back of the case. Then when done I can aim each LED board so the brights and dims line up correctly to each other on a wall 25 feet away. Then there should be no more adjustment needed to the LED boards. I would think most of the light should go directly forward, since with incandescents you shine them on a wall to aim them and they do make distinct lit areas.

I think if we get something close it should be fine. There is quite a difference in headlight visibility between different vehicles.
I was going to suggest duct taping a cardboard surround on the lens (behind it) and manually moving the panel in and out to get the proper focus on an object of equal distance to the low beam focus on your car currently, then do the same for the high beam, and measure the distances, then if there isn't enough material to mount the LED's as far back as they need to go, you can make a plastic surround to mount it to.