View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
order99
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm too @#*&^%$@ poor. I went $22,000 in debt to achieve my A+/Network+ from New Horizons (who promptly forgot their end of the bargain to place me in a high-paying entry-level IT job and let me finish my MSCE and Cisco while working) was out of work for nearly a year (thanks to said certificates i'm considered OVERqualified for the jobs I used to easily get) and recently started a just-above-minimum-wage job at a call center. My '93 Festiva was purchased in 2001 and has never had a decent paint job.

I'm seriously considering selling my house, paying off my debt (and the Taxman) and building one out of the remainder and my own elbow grease. Anybody want to live in Kenly NC ?

Seriously.

Also, range as well. That lovely new job is an hour's drive from home, through 65 MPH+ traffic. I'm looking for longer but slower commutes to my location but no luck yet...

But...i'm STILL getting an EV.

I've got two bicycle frames (one from Goodwill [$5] and one from garbage pickup) a massively overbuilt radiator motor from a junked '85 Volvo ($10), 2 12V 12Ahr SLA batts from a scooter store ($40 thanks to a 'we just got LITHIUM!!' sale) and a 12-40V 30A motor controller off Ebay ($16 including S+H). Pity there's nowhere to fire up the stick welder-my workshop is a converted tobacco barn made of 65 year-old pine (AAAHHH!! SPARKS!!) so i'll wait until spring to set fire to myself and melt through the tubing, outdoors.

Unless...anybody here think that deep-fishmouthing the tubing for extra overlap, chem-weld on the inside, steel rivets outside and a final layer of fiberglass tape and epoxy would do the trick? I don't have oxy-acetylene for brazing, welding is supposed to chemically weaken chrome-moly (or so it's rumored) and I could pop-rivet and mix epoxy anywhere....

I'll be back-I need to think a bit.