View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
bobert5064
RTD Explorer Architect

Send a message via AIM to bobert5064
Quote:
Originally Posted by etlaare View Post
Jack once opted to have a possibility to set the pwm switching frequency as a parameter. I still think that would be a nice addition, as it would make experimenting with different frequencies eassier as it is now with using different .hex files.
This is actually a question for Fran, as it is something that would have to be added to the controllers firmware. If it is added, we will be happy to support it. I agree that it would be nice, but I don't know how easy it would be to change on the fly.

Quote:
I might have missed something in Paul's thread, but do I need extra hardware to use the bootloader ? Or is it just my usb-rs232 that messes up when I want to upgrade the firmware ?
Adam will get back to you on this, as it is more his area if expertise. But, in short, the first time that you put the actual bootloader on your chip you will need a special piece of hardware that has access to the protected memory that the bootloader resides on. Once you have done that you will be able to use RTD Explorer (or the command line bootloader) to load new firmware onto your chip. From what I understand some of the chips that Paul shipped had this already done, so you may be able to skip this step. Like I said, Adam will fill you in.

Quote:
and to contribute to the speed discussion, gps is a good and more reliable choice for averages.
but to have a generic way for that might be virtually impossible, so .. go for the gps :-)
Agreed, thanks for the input!

Quote:
Another nice feature could be to have a column of generic plugin buttons where you can define your own functions.
Not sure exactly what you mean here, could you elaborate??

Quote:
And of course to be able to run it on a windows mobile platform (easier gps integration and eassier to fit in a car as well as touchscreens availability). Or shall we define a new car-automation OS standard ourselves ?
The mobile O/S support is something that we might consider going forward, we would just need one with serial port access for testing. I think developing out own O/S would be a little overkill, lol. We do have some plans for a more consumer-centric electric vehicle program, details about this will come later

Quote:
You all did a great job so far by the way. I am ever so grateful.
Thank you so much! It's always nice to hear that your work is appreciated