View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Nels
Saturn Driver

Peanut - '96 Saturn SL
90 day: 37.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Nels -

Welcome to EM! Whenever I see an unpainted Saturn bumper, I think, "Oooooh, I can get great MPG in that Saturn". Bone stock with a manual tranny is the way to go for MPG.

Are you lucky enough to also have manual steering?

CarloSW2
I had the same impression when I saw this car as a back row queen at the used car lot with no sticker on it. I said, "small 4-banger, manual tranny, and nothing else -- exactly what I'm looking for!" The car does indeed have power steering, but nothing else. I looked into deleting the PS when I replaced the serpentine belt shortly after I bought the car, thinking that would be a good time to get the non-PS belt. However changing out the steering gear was more than I wanted to do at the time. Now that I am more familiar with the car, I am not as put off by the idea. There is nothing difficult about working on this car. It is very simple mechanically compared to many cars built in the last 15-20 years.

There's a 97 Saturn SL as plain as this one at another local lot with only 84,000 miles. We may become a two Saturn family soon.

2011 Fiesta SFE sedan, 6-sp dual dry clutch Powershift transmission