View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I remember them testing the turbo Audi when they had the unintentional acceleration problem.

With the throttle floored the stopping distance was 16 feet longer than without the pedal floored.

Apparently (just my speculation) the drivers are trying the brakes then releasing or pumping the pedal, which depletes the vacuum reserve in the booster. If they are doing this then the pedal effort increases dramatically. Some drivers may have the strength to still stop the car, as long as they do not panic.

Many faced with this situation could allow panic and weakness to combine into a lethal combination, especially depending on their situation and the circumstances of road conditions and off road obstacles.

The guy who drove into the dealer, if I remember correctly, his brakes were smoking, and the engine was racing, in neutral. I believe he was very close to the dealer when this happened. If not the brake fluid could have boiled and he would have crashed.

One brave citizen, who had the ability to maintain his self control and get to the dealer, without melting his brakes. Maybe foolish, he could have shut off the ignition, but that would potentially have eliminated the symptoms and prevented any diagnosis.

regards
Mech