View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
busypaws
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
Power Steering Delete.
I (and a few others here) have deleted the PS. (97 Mazda Protoge) I just looped (hooked together) the input and output ports from the stearing gear. I kept it about half full of fluid. This way as I steer I get some PS fluid moving through the system. If you fill it too full then nowhere for it to go when it gets hot and expands.
Others claim you need to just cap/seal the input and output ports. (There is enough "slosh" to keep everything lubricated.)
Still others go the whole way and change out the whole setup with a non-power steering setup.
The steering force in my opion is the same as my non-powersteering small toyota PU. You may have problems in the parking lot/parallel parking if your wife drives it or you have shoulder problems.

Maybe try the loopback method first and if you are stuggling to steer then change out the gearing.

I manually entered fuel log from Mazda (Only owned two years). I'm waiting for an automatic way to upload for PU. (I have 275 tanks over 15 years of data) -- My inner geek.
---Welcome.