View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
msmnick
EcoModding Lurker

Double Catalytic converter requirements?

So, hey all. I've been working on an idea recently to try and "clean up" a volkswagen TDI for a nut friend of mind. I also had the idea to use this technique to help improve emissions on some of the fleet which may have issues next time around for CA emissions, as I plan on moving back and going to school their.

I know certain vehicles, particularly the 4.6l mustangs come to mind, run two cataltyic converters in-line in the exhaust system.

However, when running an aftermarket cat, would you be able to put to catalytic converters intended for primary use inline, and would this be a positive or negative effect type of thing? That is, would the second one improve the situation or would it suffer potential failure due to its location, or not being able to get up to temp, etc?

Perhaps there is availability of a secondary post-cat that I am not aware of, but I'm curious Nonetheless.

I'd also be interested in hearing your thoughts on this, I realize that this will likely bring down efficiency overall because of the extra restriction. One way I was hoping to combat this was with a good High-efficency High-cell count Metal core unit as at least the primary, and perhaps as the secondary as well. I'm sure the comparison of these to OE cats as far as emission reduction is debatable, but I have used Pace-setter metalcores in the Audi and passed emissions with them, so they are passable at least.

Ok, thanks for reading, Lets see what the ideas would be. (note, the diesel is not required to pass emissions, but she wants less soot out the tail-pipe, so to speak. A diesel injection pump upgrade is on the table as well)