View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Tygen1 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygen1 View Post
The "Automatic" is a computer shifted manual, thus the 9% savings and the term "power shift" being used to describe it. I've seen it and lust after it. It is also tiny and very light compated to any manual or automatic I've seen. I believe this was developed with a German company, I think Getrag?
Yup (from URL posted by Daox) :

Quote:
Gone is the aging 140-hp 2.0L Duratec DOHC inline 4-cyl. that powers the current Focus. In its place will be a new 2.0L direct-injected I-4 with twin independent variable camshaft timing that is expected to generate at least 155 hp while also providing improved fuel economy.

Ford says a version of its turbocharged EcoBoost D1engine eventually will be offered on the Focus.

The updated 2.0L engine will be mated to either a 6-speed manual or a new 6-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. Dubbed “PowerShift,” the new line of small-car automatic transmissions can reduce fuel consumption up to 9%, the company says.

Ford’s PowerShift transmissions, developed with German supplier Getrag GmbH & Cie KG, essentially consists of two manual transmissions working in parallel, each with an independent clutch unit.

In comparison, the current North American Focus is available with either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. Ford says advanced 6-speed transmissions such as PowerShift will be offered on nearly its entire vehicle lineup by 2013.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 01-27-2010 at 08:12 PM..