View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Orange: I wish I could say I use my EBH religiously but I don't. I can only plug in at work and it's a timely set up. I'm probably using my EBH about twice a week right now when I could be doing it 5-6 times a week.

When I do use the EBH the mpg gains are substantial and recordable. In 20-30 degree temps I usually see about 120 degrees F on my SGII at start up which then drops down to about 90 degrees F within the first 1/4 mile...this is typical when using an EBH. From there engine temps rapidly increase and I'm at 150 degrees F within 1-1.5 miles of my 11 mile commute home. Comparatively, without using the EBH I'm at 150 degrees F at about the 3 mile mark.

With the EBH in 20-30 degree temps I can usually pull at 50+ mpg bar in the first 5 minutes of operation. Without the EBH in the same temps I routinely see 25-30 mpg in those first 5 minutes. Over 11 miles on my way home this difference is usually about .3-.5 mpg for the trip for me when using EBH vs. not using EBH depending on how well I hypermile the rest of the way home after the engine is up to EV-friendly temps.

Squatch: I do quite a bit of neutral shifting when gliding...especially when going down hill. I pulse to the top of the hill and put it in neutral just before 41 mph which results in ICE staying off when the car goes above 41 mph on the down hill glide. If you were to do the same process and not go into neutral on the down hill the ICE will kick in when it goes above 41 mph...plus you are rapidly slowing the car due to engine braking.

If we're talking about flat driving surfaces for long distances...I also rarely use neutral coast.

Personally, I would not recommend using neutral coast in high mph areas as neutral coasting at 58+ mph speeds is said to potentially damage the MG1 due to possible overs pinning (this is a theory that many Prius drivers adhere to however it has been disputed by many other Prius drivers as to any damage it may cause...for me I error on the side of caution).

For highway driving I utilize the GPS & IGN X Guages on my SGII (the new Super Highway Mode way of driving...GPS is a finer measurement of throttle position or TPS on the SGII). On a 55 mph highway, pulse up to 60 mph and then slowly back off the GO pedal until GPS is in the 8-18 range (depending on SOC this varies as low SOC will only allow around 8-9 GPS and high SOC will allow 10-18 GPS before tripping the ICE). When backing off the GO pedal you can settle the GPS number around 8-12 and you will see IGN go from 10+ down to 5 where it will stay unless you trip the ICE by making GPS go too high. At this point you can continue in 5 IGN with feather pressure on the GO pedal (keeping GPS in the 8-12 range) and continue to benefit from light acceleration of the car while mph winds down from 60 mph to 45-50 mph when you then can repeat the process over and over.

This basically gives you a small amount of continued acceleration which retards the deceleration process of normal pulse and glide.

I like your cruise control process...I just don't have cruise in my Prius to try it out. What kind of mpg are you seeing in typical highway travel?