View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #37 (permalink)
Billy_BAD_Boy
addicted hypermiler

Blue swan - '02 Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi
Diesel
90 day: 64.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
ok, well in answer to the original question (and the title of this thread), it is as I described, load up the hill at bsfc peak and glide down and glide crawl over the top so you brake less.

Maybe we should change the thread title to "Hills (most efficient climbing technique for diesel / manual transmission after I put a whole bunch of conditions on it)"
Hi dcb,

Am I right saying that you advise climbing the hill with load above 50% of the accelerator pedal and in the sweet spot of BSFC map (low revs, highest gear and relatively high load)? If yes please correct me if I am wrong in the following:
We start climbing the hill as said above, with lets assume 2200 revs and 2/3 load on the pedal. We are in our BSFC sweet spot. Climbing the hill we start to unload the pedal to lets say 50% and our revs are going down to 1800. Theoretically we should loose torque faster than our fuel consumption is dropping. But what is the real world situation. I thing that when we are lightly unloading the pedal/revs are dropping we will have better fuel consumption than staying under constant load even though we are in our sweet spot.

It went kind a long but hope you understand what I mean.

Your or other opinions are highly appreciated.

Cheers