View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I agree with the step forward comment. Unfortunately, as much as we might like everyone to learn the ways of the Church of Ecomodder, it's not going to happen. There are far more new, uneducated, careless drivers added every day than we could even begin to hope to get across to. While it's a great idea to make the driver more efficient, the car is the starting point, and that's what it's gotta be.

You also have to account for the people who simply aren't willing to change their driving style - and there are lots of them - who could really care less about being efficient, they just do what they do. For those people, the only option is to make their vehicle more efficient. While more efficient vehicles aren't an answer right now, due to "rollout times", all of our really old vehicles will eventually become obsolete... and then the vehicles that we consider "new" will be 20 and 30 years old, and maybe, if properly maintained, will be recycled and still running at that point.

Either that, or more people will go broke trying to run their junkers into the ground, and be forced to walk. I'd prefer the latter. More room on the road for me to not have to slow down around curves and such.