View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #52 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Prandtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
Weird the article (the original post) says that the pulsed air comes from the slots on the side of the trucks (the ones one person thought were inlets). I don't know why it would be advantageous to have a high pressure zone here, unless they're just directing them to increase the speed of the air.

Someone also mentioned something about .25psi, I couldn't find that mentioned anywhere but that means that redirecting high pressure from the front to low pressure in the rear would not work, .25psi to me indicates that they want to turn the rear into a high pressure zone, but I think the best you can do with ducting is just to fill the vacuum (you'll never get higher than 0psi).

I haven't been able to EVER find the article, but when I was at RPI I was shown a paper once by a researcher there that was using cylindrical speakers for air flow control. He had these levating camera robot things and would pulse a frequency through speakers on the side and it would create a fake pressure zone that would cause the robot to rotate.

He had actual wind tunnel (like model test bench wind tunnel) picture of the cylinder off and on and it was a marked improvement. I'm talking like 6 years ago and have been looking for the article ever since.

Basically though I've always wanted to read more, I mean you can all picture a cylinder (so a circle) crossways in a wind tunnel, circles create horrible drag behind them and are not areo at all. He had a slot on the back of the cylinder that would some how create air/sound bubbles from a pulsed speaker and created a 'fake' aircraft wing looking shape in the next wind tunnel test. It was amazing to say the least.
I believe that Prandtl did R&D work with cylinders with suction-slots around the turn of the 20th-Century.His work is often mentioned in slotted-wing literature,flaps and slats.