View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
El Duende
EcoModding Lurker

QG - '02 Nissan Sentra GXE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
It sounds like you're doing a lot of good hypermiling practices. Keep your speed down, if you're not already doing so. I used to get only 26 mpg with my Sentra or my wife's AT Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra, when I pushed them at 72 mph. When I slowed down to 55-60 mph, my mleage shot up to 33-40 mpg.

I've never been able to wring much mileage out of automatics. I get ~39 mpg out of my wife's car on long highway trips in the winter, and 42 mpg in the summer, but around town we're lucky to get 30-35 mpg. I rented an automatic Yaris last Summer, and averaged 42 mpg for three tanks with my 15 yr. old grandson and our luggage.

I regularly get 400 mile tanks out of my Sentra, and I've got the thirsty SE-R Spec V.
That's pretty damn impressive, on all accounts, namely your Spec V. Never thought such a number was attainable on a car that dares the driver to do otherwise.

As for highway speeds, I stay at the speed limit if it's at all possible. Some highways can get rowdy- and by rowdy I mean >70 MPH will have you run-over rowdy- irrespective of what lane you're on. Guess people figure that getting on there automatically means you get the EPA estimated MPG. They don't factor in the RPM's, especially our 4 cyl bretheren. My car revs at 3,000 RPM +/- at 70 MPH; can't pretend that revving that high for long will be economical, yet the Corolla behind me overtakes me because I'm only going 75. I like how this site emphasizes the idea of "how you drive," over what you drive.