View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
thatguitarguy
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
You haven't talked about where you are starting from, what your daily drive is like, or your driving habits.

The Cavalier has the look of a next generation Metro, I don't know if that's the case. The 2.2 might be bigger than that car needs. My niece has the Pontiac Sunfire with what appears to be the same 2.2 and she gets really good mileage in that car.

Depending on your current driving habits, you might gain much more than 5% by just modifying the way you drive i.e., "adjusting the nut behind the wheel".

I bought my minivan 3 1/2 months ago from a guy who said his average mileage was about 17, which was just under the EPA combined estimate of 18. When I started driving it and really paying attention to the feedback of the current eco mode on the trip computer, my mileage shot way up, and has been creeping up from there slowly but surely to the point that I'm always disappointed when it dips below 25 mpg, which is above the EPA high highway rating of 24.

The only aero mod in place right now is the grill block, and though I don't know how much effect that has overall, I'm sure it's not nearly as much as having altered my driving habits.