View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
rgathright
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '09 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.44 mpg (US)
Welcome to the forums El Duende!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
...If you do some digging, you'll find evidence that even if an EV is powered 100% by coal, the inherent efficiencies of electric drive mean it's likely to produce fewer emissions than a comparable fossil fuel powered vehicle.

In addition, it's probably fair to say that the grid will get cleaner in the future. And so will anything plugged into it.
Thank you MetroMPG! You are first person online this year (2010) to bring this up in a response to the classic "smokestack" counterpoint on EV's. In fact you can even point people to this website LA Ash, Inc. - The USA's Largest Marketer & Byproduct Merchant of Petcoke Ash. I used to write software for them and learned first hand how clean coal really is! In fact, I drove on their theories everyday!

The grid will get much cleaner as we put more wind turbines on it. In fact, if you (El Duende & maybe MetroMPG), really feel bad about driving electrics because of the dangers of coal
Why not purchase your electricity from a wind farm coop? Because of new energy trading policies, we all can buy our electricity from any source. I buy mine from a sugar cane refinery that burns their waste product! The cost is only about an "extra" $20 bucks per month for me.

I calculated that driving an EV 500 miles per month with my "eco-friendly" utility bill charge it would make that "extra" only $30!