View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Red Lion
EcoModding Lurker

Serenity - '93 Nissan Sentra SE-R
90 day: 20.55 mpg (US)
Welcome to the site El Duende, from another Nissan Sentra owner. Believe me, you and I are not the first to hypermile these great little econoboxes. I drive an old B13 (93) SE-R, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duende View Post
As for highway speeds, I stay at the speed limit if it's at all possible. Some highways can get rowdy- and by rowdy I mean >70 MPH will have you run-over rowdy- irrespective of what lane you're on. Guess people figure that getting on there automatically means you get the EPA estimated MPG. They don't factor in the RPM's, especially our 4 cyl bretheren. My car revs at 3,000 RPM +/- at 70 MPH; can't pretend that revving that high for long will be economical, yet the Corolla behind me overtakes me because I'm only going 75. I like how this site emphasizes the idea of "how you drive," over what you drive.
I agree with SentraSE-R's statement, let them worry about themselves and risk their own necks passing you. Believe me, I used to get all nervous, watching my rear-view mirror, when people would rush up behind me and tailgate me. Now, I just sit back, chill, and think about how much cash I'm saving. Besides, it's not like they're going to compensate you for the gas money you'd waste going faster, so why worry about them? And you should probably see a good increase right away by just going slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I go 55-60 mph max unless it's a two lane road. Faster traffic can go around me. Their hurry is their worry, not my problem. California law requires me to pull over if I have five cars stacked up behind me. I pull over and let them pass when I'm impeding traffic.
Pull over huh? That's crazy. Does that mean even if you're in the "slow traffic" lane?

BTW if you're gentle with them (and it takes practice) you can do well in an auto. I owned a 95 Maxima auto for a year that I hyper-miled, and I commonly got around 35mpg city, and that wasn't even with properly inflated tires. Just takes practice and being gentle on that pedal.