View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
squatch81
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post

For SUVs, do you think there should be a special class of license? Should drivers be required to have more training?
Yes! They require extra training to be licensed to drive a semi tractor or a motorcycle. SUV's have a higher center of gravity and handle quite differently than a typical automobile under anything other than the most ideal situations, and drivers ed does not begin to cover these situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post

What was the logic behind slamming the accelerator? Was the idea to loosen a stuck throttle cable by giving it slack? On one hand, a drive-by-wire car wouldn't have a "throttle cable" to unstick. On the other hand, different driver input could trigger different logic in the ECU/PCM, so the end-result could be the same.
Back in the day when the connections were all mechanical, the idea was the jarring could free the stuck linkage. Under a stressful situation like a runaway car, I tend to go into an automatic mode and fall back on my training, however loosely it may apply. Had I not regained control, I would have wasted a few seconds attempting to downshift (with a CVT ), then turned the key off. Luckily it didn't go that far, as I probably would have locked the steering wheel and completely lost control.