View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
nj1266
EcoModding Lurker

Roady - '07 Honda S2000
90 day: 26.34 mpg (US)

Evo - '06 Mitsubishi Evolution GSR
90 day: 24.21 mpg (US)

Mazotti - '10 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 46.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Driving without brakes, plus an engine kill switch, will help a lot if you're not doing so already. The Scangauge reports my Subaru idles at 0.25 gal/hr when warmed up, so you can do the math on how much fuel you might save by shutting down the engine during prolonged coasts in neutral, and at red lights.
You do not have to turn the engine off during the glide period after the pulse. All you have to do is keep the car in gear and lift off the gas. The injectors will shut off and engine will become an air pump. I have a wideband installed on my car and when I glide in gear with my foot off the gas and the engine on, the wideband reads 20.xx AFR. That means you are getting 20.xx parts of air to one part of fuel. That is way better than gliding when the car is out of gear and the engine is on becuase the AFR is 14.7:1 under these conditions. 20.xx:1 is far far better than 14.7:1 and that saves you more fuel. Ofcourse, shutting the engine off is best of all, but it is also dangerous as hell.