View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4kk View Post
It seems that if the generator combo is too big, reducing the duty cycle would solve that....kind of like pulse and coast. Run it till it's charged, then turn it off till the voltage drops a certain amount.
Batteries have a max current for charging, above that you're either wasting energy or destroying the battery. It's better to charge longer with less current. (I hope I'm not lying, any EV owners help if I am.)
The ICE/generator's most efficient rpm may produce more "juice" than the drivetrain+batteries can handle at the moment. All of this will have to be sorted out once you know your battery parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4kk View Post
I don't think physical size and weight would be too big of an issue considering that an automotive diesel is pretty compact to start with compared to an industrial diesel.....and the 1.6 is about as small as we can easily find over here in a car. If someone knows of a suitable alternative, that would be great, but I bet it won't be as cheap as the engine that came in the car.
The smallest automotive diesel I know of is in the Smart ForTwo. It's a 0.8 liter, direct injection, commonrail turbodiesel (=very new and high-tech). Its 54hp is more than enough to serve as a gennie, plus it weighs less than 200lbs. Here's more info. I don't think the ForTwo had that engine as an option in North America, but in Europe it can be found in scrapyards (I found two at a local auction for the equivalent of US$700 each). There is also the 1.2 liter TDI from the 3L versions of VW's Lupo and Audi's A2, but that's just more eye candy for America with EPA emissions

Also, Christ found a diesel engine. I'm not sure if he's found a use for it, but it's heavy!

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread