View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #2909 (permalink)
Grimm
Computer/EV enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
I will be sure to let you know when I am ready to start shipping kits!!
Please do!

Quote:
YES!! If I can get a large order together before they go into production, prices will be lower. This will have to do with bulk ordering the expensive parts like micro controllers and opto-isolators.

I hope to keep some boards in stock after the initial run, but they will be slightly more because of smaller qty runs.
Count me in for now, when will the initial run start? (Hoping to get the control board done in the next 2 months...)

Quote:
I will list what will be added with the expansion board.

- Bus Voltage Measurement
- Internal Pre-Charge Control
- Tach Input/Output w/ Scaling
- 1 Button Cruise Control w/ Brake Input
- Through Hole "Play Ground" for Custom Expansion
Sounds good! Is contactor control still being worked on? Or is it just half turn of the key to precharge the controller, full turn to close the contactor?

Quote:
Yes!! You could use something like this : SparkFun Electronics - Logomatic v2 Serial SD Datalogger

It has inputs for a serial terminals. it takes a micro SD card which the adaptor is basically an SD card! I've never used one, But it says it can take 19200 baud serial data so it should work.
Thank you! That should work well. Do all the current testers have laptops? They would probably love this.

Quote:
The cruise control system I came up with would keep circuitry, wiring and installation very simple. The method I have came up with would require mounting 1 momentary push button for on/off and adjustment and a wire attached to the brake pedal sensor switch under the dash. The control switch would be be held down for 1 second to activate cruise control. 2 quick push's of the button would increase speed and 1 push would decrease speed. When the brake pedal is pressed, the signal will be sent and turn off the cruise control.
Maybe a button like a screenkey where you could put the speed/RPM in the center? It's easily controlled by atmels. And when it's not engaged it's green (ENGAGE! ), when you engage it turns red? I dunno how expensive the cheap ones are though... Might not be worth it, just a thought for brainstorming. Alternatively, you could use these to switch from eco-driving to drag racing, maybe with the same single key.
Screenkeys - getting started, evaluation/prototyping kits, Controlling and Interfacing with programmable LCD keys

Quote:
To do this you would probably need to have an efficiency variable in the controller that if you are over that, you the light would come on. Problem with that idea would be on the highway when you w/h per mile is high, the light would always be on...
I'll have to ask my dad (who's worked on ECM code for a million years) but I think the way that manuals do it is directly proportional to RPM and time spent there, if you maintain around the same rpm in a gear (so it doesn't trip while you accelerate to the next one) when shifting to another would be possible without dipping below say 1500 in the RPMs then it reminds you with the light that shifting would be a good idea.

Quote:
I have thought about this before. It could be a very handy thing. It will take some more looking into and talking to Fran to see if this is possible. I have a feeling it might be harder then you think without removing and changing some parts of the firmware that are in place now.
You're the coder, feel free to play with it or not if you have better things to code (like cruise control )

Quote:
So one other thing I think I forgot to mention is that this controller expansion will require that the main boards micro controller be upgraded from the atmega8 to the 168. The mega 8 doesn't have enough room to implement ANY thing else, including the serial communications to the new board.
Dang, we filled it up fast. Maybe someone will come along and trim down the code a bit to at least fit in the serial communications?

Quote:
So what do you guys think?

-Adam
Sounds great! Color me extremely interested.