View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #39 (permalink)
nj1266
EcoModding Lurker

Roady - '07 Honda S2000
90 day: 26.34 mpg (US)

Evo - '06 Mitsubishi Evolution GSR
90 day: 24.21 mpg (US)

Mazotti - '10 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 46.4 mpg (US)
Hi jjf,

He works for Innovate...there I said it and not him. I have owrked with him in the past when he designed a plug-in for my XEDE piggyback on my Evo. Listen to him, he knows what he is talking about. I have learned a lot from him and Klaus (the genius behind innovate).

I use innovate widebands in all my tuning applications. I tune Evos and Subarus using opensource tools. The Innovate wideband is the only one that I use. I have two of them; one on my tuning kit and one installed permanently in my Evo. The latter helps save fuel when I pulse and DFCO. As you know, in DFCO mode the injectors shut down and the engine becomes an air pump.

Great discussion btw. As far as saving fuel, the best cruise AFR is around 15.2-15.4:1. I have been able to get my ECU on my Evo to run in open loop all the time at 15.4:1 AFR in cruise by changing the closed loop tables. It is a tuning trick that I have learned. I have managed to get 27 mpg in my 330 hp Evo w/o pulse and DFCO by advancing the timing at cruise and running leaner AFR than stoich. I tested the old fashioned way by filling the tank driving till it is empty and re-filing and calculating the mpg. This was in mixed 30/70 street freeway driving.

I will test with pulse and glide soon and see what I can get.