View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
psmithrt
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
Why exactly would you want to disable a/c and/or alternator when accelerating vs cruising? What is the logic behind it, cause I can't really figure it. If I was trying to get the most hp to the wheels then it would make perfect sense, but since I'm shooting for FE I would be inclined to do exactly the opposite and disable them when cruising and enable them when accelerating.
Well maybe I'm wrong. I was taught in 7th grade physics that it takes alot more energy to move something from standstill to x speed than to maintain x speed once attained. Imagine two identical cars. Lets say 3000lbs, both with 2L 4cyl engines, auto trans. On an imaginary 300mi straightaway with stop signs every 2mi. It's a very hot muggy night and there are deer crossing signs everywhere, so both are running a/c and high beams. Both are identical except one has a little electric motor that gives it a 10hp boost from 0-55 and then cuts out everytime it accelerates, (kinda like a Honda Civic Hybrid)
Which car would have used the least gas at the end of the 300mi if they both travel side by side?
I do understand that your way would indeed achieve better overall economy at the end of the same aforementioned trip. But it would first require at least one deep cycle battery and a driver who is not only much more tolerant of heat than I, but also with better night vision. I guess I would rather have the brighter high beam lights and a cooler car interior. That would indeed be a tradeoff on my part.
The little 10hp motor on the imaginary car above can be had (more/less) by cutting off the a/c and alternator during acceleration.
Then again, maybe I'm wrong. If so please point out my flaw before I spend 80 bucks on this switchy thingy. THANKS