View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Crap, that was more difficult than it had to be.

I'm not sure about the drop in height or capacity with the O-spring, but it's been suggested to me by people "in the know", so I thought I'd pass it on.

For the spring locator pin, you can remove it from the spring pack (if it's not on the axle tubing) and replace it with almost any other steel pin the same diameter, but you then have to put a plate under the spring packs to hold the pin in. The plate gets held in place by the u-bolts that hold the axle housing to the springs. You want a pin with a slight interference fit, so that you have to freeze it before it will go in, and that it fits nicely once it's in there, and doesn't pull back out.

The block you need to make if you don't want to swap pins will look something like this:

Where this pin goes into the axle's receiver hole
|
|
V

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

^
And the pin on the leaf spring pack goes here.