View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 03:01 AM   #130 (permalink)
El Duende
EcoModding Lurker

QG - '02 Nissan Sentra GXE
I did, not too long ago. Nothing against the new Nissan line-up, but I feel like the B15 chassis (2000- 06' models) should've been the biggest model of Sentra. I always read about how the enthusiast following from the B13 & B14 didn't particularly love the redesign that took place in 00'. Sentras have always been small and relatively light, making them candidates for tuners and hypermillers alike. It felt strange to be dwarved by the B16's (09' version) "French design." Even with 16" steel wheels, the body appears to hover them, almost as if the wheel wells were black anti-gravity voids. From a practical standpoint, I can see how's its new size attracts a broader demographic. There's more room for passengers, groceries, and college books, (Along with empty Sonic wrappers) for a relatively low price. The drawback to all that is weight. A bigger engine is made standard, leaving fuel economy estimates with more to desire. The Versa takes the place of "subcompact" and even it still looks kinda big to me. (For it's classification) A couple of years back a Geo Metro fell into that category. That's quite a difference in dimensions compared to past cars.

In my experience with an American classic, having driven a Mercury Grand Marquis for over 1,400k, I appreciated the vastness of the cabin and road presence. Things are quiet and jazz music sets the mood. The steering is lighter than one attached to an arcade game. When I arrive at my destination, I unbuckle my seatbelt and its giant door swings open like the gate of a castle; fit for a king. Then I get out and stare at it for a couple of seconds. That's when it hits me: All that car... just to shuttle me.