View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
1996 Ford F150 4.9L (300ci) I6 5MT 4x4

Yup, so now what do I do? LOL.

I haven't gotten a baseline on it, but I used less than 5 gallons to go 70 miles... LOL.

I've got an MPGuino, just have to get it wired up and installed in the next couple weeks.

I'm hoping for mid 30's with this truck!!! Bring it on, Frank! :P

The OE thermostat is 192*, and I can't find a hotter one, so that'll have to be good.

OE tires are 235/75R15, can't really go any taller than that without going wider, too. Rims aren't OE, they're aftermarket "wagon" wheels, look to be 15"x8". Next best thing is going with big-truck tires at 100+ PSI, but that's pricey.

I'm gonna lower it some, just because I can, and I don't ever really plan on taking it anywhere that I need serious ground clearance, so I see no issue with lowering my 4x4 2 inches or so. Plus, it'll make it easier for my old self to get into.

Got an airdam planned, grille block, radiator seal, and electric fan.

EOC switch as well.

On the way home, I got "warm" air from the heater, but nothing like it should have been. It was frigid cold out, and the temp gauge never went higher than just over the "C". This will be addressed by the coolant mods.

I'm hoping this one is OBD-II, but haven't checked yet. I've heard tell that some of the F-series from 1995 to 1997 were still OBD-I, and some got OBD-II, depending on when it was on the line, and what line it came from.

Needs a new rear O2 sensor, the one that doesn't do anything special. Has an exhaust leak/hanging pipe, have to fix that. Removing the front driveshaft for now, needs a new u-joint up there.

Planning to build a controlled HAI, but that's gonna take awhile.

Bed covering is inevitable, but will also have to wait until I have more time that I don't have to chase down something for my wife, or have to take care of my Son.

Anyone have any other suggestions beyond general maintenance techniques? (I still gotta check the brakes, ball joints, tie rods, etc.)

Oh, I plan on removing the mechanical fan and replacing it with an electric one on a 210* thermo-switch.

Last edited by Christ; 02-01-2010 at 03:32 PM..