View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Bow
Old School Hashiriya

Fred - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 26.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjboks View Post
Nice work on the 2/3 tonneau cover. A 2/3 cover is not much better than a full tonneau.
Nope, but it was cheap to make and try out, which is a big plus for me.

Quote:
The carry box is probably not helping the FE that much since the weight of it is probably offsetting any aero gain.
My cargo box in the bed might weight 40-50 pounds empty. I carry very little in it. It is mainly there because having a single cab doesn't give me anywhere to carry stuff out of the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
John Gilkison threw one together for the T-100.
It was a C-shaped plywood base laying flat across the front bed bulkhead,extending 18-inches back along the top of the rails.
The two sides were plywood skinned with hardboard and routed to accept Plexiglass window on passenger side,angled at 7-degrees and tilted in to approximate the tumblehome of the cab roof.
The top was just a simple plywood shelf which extended from below the 3rd brakelight straight back 18-inches.If you laid a straight-edge off the back of the cab roof,down to the top rear edge of the "shelf" that angle was around 12-degrees.Wood gussets provided rigidity.Drywall screws held the whole thing together.House paint kept it alive for years.
No attempt was made to provide a curved skin or any complex shape at all.
Not real pretty but the air was okay with it.
Fuel records indicate that it performed as Texas Tech had reported.
Thanks Phil, I'll have to see if I can locate any photos of that.

Straight back off the Cab roof, under the 3rd brake light would be very easy for me, the small structure I mount my antennas on is already located there!