View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
begreen
EcoModding Lurker

2009AveoSedan5speed - '09 Chevrolet Aveo LS
90 day: 35.54 mpg (US)

1993HondaCivicLX - '93 Honda Civic LX
Last 3: 40.09 mpg (US)

silver bullet - '15 chevy spark ls
Update: Sold 1993 Honda Civic. Bought new 2009 Aveo LS Sedan 5 speed. Got a fantastic deal plus was able to use up the GM Card rebate earnings so it became a no-brainer. I'm going to miss the awesome mileage of the Civic vs the Aveo but there are aspects to having a brand new car that are very appealing. Presently there's about 240 miles it. I'm guessing I'll be in the very low thirties for MPG while it is broken in. I'm guessing I'll be in the mid thirties thereafter until I can figure out how to wring it out a bit. If I could get close to 40 again I'd be happy. I know the gearing is low but that's the price I had to pay to move up 16 years for very low bucks brand new with a full warranty.

The Aveo has 14" wheels (185 / 60 / 14's). I'm wondering what size (80 series?) I could go up to and keep the 14" wheels to offset the short gearing. The wheelwells seem to have enough space to allow for a bit of a taller tire. I wonder if there's a tire website that shows how big a tire circumfrence I could go to.

Also thinking about a scanguage. Wondering what's involved in the install? Hmmm...

I have to say the Aveo is a very nice car to drive. I love the tall, firm seats. In fact the drivers seat is height adjustable plus it has lumbar support. The Onstar Safe and security and built in phone is cool too. In fact the Aveo even has it's own phone number which will be great here in woodsy hilly CT where I often have no cell signal. My understanding is that the Onstar phone uses the satellite signal so it doesn't rely on an oft unavailable cell signal here.

It's fun driving it. That new car smell and feeling is very nice. Paint is beautifully shiny. Interior is of course perfectly clean! To some it may not be much but to me it's a real pleasure to have.

Any suggestions on break-in or photos - it's been so long since I've had a brand new car. So far I've just been driving it easy - as I always would. I did save the window sticker.

Still have the Astro & Silverado.

marc