View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
I'll look up the swap some more in my spare time this week and next.

Right now I'm focusing on the camber kits to straighten out my alignment, from what I can see only one company makes a half decent set and they're not cheap so that and the new coilovers from GroundControl are going to come courtesy of my tax return. If there's anything left after everything is aligned and balanced (properly) I'll spring for the HF transmission.

I ran it past another of my buddies in the EFSquad here in atlanta and he said that HF trannys are a little tricky to get your hands on and recommended only doing the fifth gear swap for now since that's where a lot of my issues are right now, I can get better MPG in the city doing PnG (like most of us can I guess) than on the highway simply because at 65mph I'm at 3000RPM which is waaaay higher than I want to be cruising at for any distance. I would like to realistically be closer to 2200 to 2500 but that was the cruising RPM of the Camry at 65mph which that was a 4spd automatic with overdrive...I don't think this little engine would have the torque at that speed...
The camber kits that you find on eBay are just fine, I've used 8 different kinds of them, and they're all basically the same as far as quality and such. If you're not racing, there's no point in springing hundreds for adjustable parts that you're only going to set and forget.

Frankly, if you're only going a couple inches, you don't even have to set your camber, you can just fix the toe angle and live with the tighter steering, and you won't have funky tire wear (other than uneven across the tires, which is why you rotate them.)

1988-1991 HONDA CIVIC CRX ADJUSTABLE FRONT CAMBER KIT : eBay Motors (item 370255749580 end time Mar-03-10 17:42:51 PST)

Those ones there are the ones I used on my last Civic. Never had a problem with them. If you need something to fix the rear, just toss some washers in behind the compensator arm mount until you're within spec. No need for aluminum lower control arms and such... they're just "pretty" pieces with no real functionality, unless you like a shorter rear track width.