View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
rgathright
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '09 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4kk View Post
And double the cost!

If I'm going to add on anything to extend my range (beyond what I need around town), it's not going to be limited to a mere 75 miles....there's nothing worth visiting within 35 miles of Tallahassee (look at the map and see). It would have to be indefinite...or at least capable of extending the range to a full day's worth of travel so I can get a recharge overnight.

To me, this is what would make an EV feasible as a primary/only car...the ability to function around town or on a trip to Ocala or North Georgia for a weekend of primitive camping.
No solution is going to replace what gasoline gave us because of its high BTU per gallon. At 40 Mpg many cars can now go 500+ miles without a fill up. No pure EV built today is going to offer that with the convenience of a "quick fill up" at the local charging station.

Sorry, but the "it has to be easy argument" is why we are so dependent on foreign oil in the first place.

The topic here is discussing popular opinion of the EV charging trailer. I think that it works and will be a solution that you see many weekend travelers using 20 years from now.
The Following User Says Thank You to rgathright For This Useful Post:
mxt161 (02-03-2010)