View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
ai4kk
EcoModding Lurker

Possibly...I did 1,000 miles once, but my mom was in the hospital in FL and I was in MI.....it's not something I make a habit out of. To give you an idea, it took me a week to drive up when I first got based there, and only 30 hours to come back.

On back roads I usually average about 250-300 miles a day. When I picked my Trooper up in Richmond, it took us 4 days to drive the 900 miles home, but a lot of that was on twisty mountain back roads. On this trip, we stayed with other couchsurfers in Roanoke, Asheville, and Atlant and could have potentially plugged in overnight, but on other trips we may be camping off the grid if we find someplace neat.

We go to Gainesville or Jacksonville quite often to take my kids to visit their mother or to see my sister. Either way is about a 300mi round-trip and we don't usually stay overnight in Gainesville although I wouldn't mind doing so as I grew up there...it's just usually at the end of a weekend and we need to get back...besides, I doubt my ex would let me plug in LOL. Any trip to Orlando or Tampa is going to be 300 miles 1-way and we may or may not be able to plug in while there.

On some longer trips, we have topped 500-600 miles in a stretch by changing drivers...it's all according to how much time we have to get there vs how much we want to see enroute. We obviously aren't typical "get on the interstate and lock in the cruise" travelers, but sometimes you have to get someplace in reasonable amount of time, whether for work or to make the most of limited time off from work.

When we do SCA and Rainbow events out in the National Forest, It's about 200 miles there and we do not have grid power available although we could potentially run our generator a little bit in the evening before bedtime and some again in the morning after most folks are up.

That said, most use of this vehicle would be typical daily commuting, about 10 miles/day, during which it would be a pure plug-in EV.