View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
aero there is a pretty good side view of my echo in my garage (silver clown) if that is not good enough i will take more pics . thanks.,,, i am looking at a few methods of adjustable ride height for my car ,it gets alot cheaper when you dont need to make the car hop, im looking at pneumatic cylinders ,(i build projects with them for my work) and also a screw drive system using 4 gear motors, i will either do it with cheap surplus parts or i wont do it, but first step is to determine benifit, if i do it i will post methods. $300 or less or i wont do it,but i can do the fabrication myself making it cheaper.
Moon,I found an ECHO on the way here,stopped,photographed,and let my eyes roam over it and under it.
The bellypan is a good idea for that car,especially from the rear axle rearward.
The car I looked at,with standard ride height already had evidence of "strikes" with curbs,etc..The ABS or sheet molding compound used was lacerated and scraped pretty significantly.
Which makes me think that lowering,while definitely beneficial to drag,might become a real pain in the --s for daily commuting.
I found my article on the Ford Probe-IV.That car dropped 1-inch at 11-mph,then dropped 2-more-inches above 40-mph.
All the drop was at the front which rotated the tail up an inch or so getting the departure angle to about 17-degrees at speed.
No data is given for Cd at the varying drops.
The lowered car achieves a fineness ratio ( length/height ) of 3.848.
By comparison,a Prius is 3.01
CIVIC 3.267
Corvette 3.583
Bugatti Veyron 3.701
Ferrari F430 3.715
Lamborghini Murcielago 4.033

Anything you can do to gain real or apparent length,with respect to height,is going to show up at the pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
moonmonkey (02-03-2010)