View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
Before I started doing EOC I read everything I could find about it on this site; I didn't even know manual engines could be clutch started. I spent some time in a parking lot practicing before I felt comfortable with it on the road. I have noticed some increases, although it's only been one tank so far with regular EOC. I just saw that thread about engine damage from EOC and I got a little worried, which prompted me to make the thread.

Robertsmalls is right, each time I turn the ignition off all my electronics etc cycle off/on too, which is kind of a pain. I am planning on having a kill switch installed this summer, once I can scrape some money together (I know squat about mechanics, so I don't think I could install one);
Well, the engine damage, from what we can tell, is caused by fuel dumping. You won't have that trouble at all, no matter what engine speed you shut down at.

If you can do basic maintenance, and know how to use a wire crimper, you can probably install a kill switch without too much drama. The hardest part is the research, believe it or not. If you need help when you get around to doing it, there are plenty of people here, myself included, who are more than willing to help you out to the best of our ability.

The basic idea behind a kill switch is to stall the engine. There are a few ways to do that, but some of them aren't safe. If you kill the ignition only, you end up with fuel dumping. Same thing with choking it out. Really, you should kill the fuel. That way, the ignition system keeps working and ignites whatever is left of the fuel that already made it into the engine, so you're not pushing raw fuel out your exhaust.

Only conceivable problem with injector cuts on an OBD-II vehicle (yours, for instance) is that you might get a CEL if you cut the injectors directly w/ the switch. It should go away immediately after restarting, though.