View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #99 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
What I'm thinking is that if you can get the EGR flow into the cylinder before the clean intake air, you won't have to worry about stratification. The EGR just blocks the bottom of the cylinder, pressing the mixture closer to the top of the cylinder/spark plug.
I'm pretty sure theres way too much turbulence inside the combustion chamber to ensure that the EGR will sit at the bottom. If it did, that would be great.

Quote:
What I'm worried about is whether or not the EGR flow comes from before the O2 sensor in the exhaust stream. If you're reintroducing pre-measured O2 into the engine from the exhuast, it may cause you to run slightly rich, since the O2 sensor will be reading the same exhaust parts more than once.
Interesting idea, but unless I'm missing something, I don't think that this will be a problem either. If the exhaust gas is coming out the engine rich, it will recycle some of that rich exhaust gas, but the rest of the rich exhaust gas will still get to the O2 sensor and it will trim the fuel injectors back until it hits a slightly lean condition, then back again as it normally would with a narrow band sensor setup.